The battle between responsive and adaptive Web design was immediately put to stop when Google recommended responsive Web design for a mobile-friendly website. This is because responsive Web design uses only one URL, which makes it easier for users to share and link content,compared with having a designated URL each for desktop and mobile devices.
Aside from the fact that it’s easier for the users to share, listed below are some other reasons why Google is favoring responsive Web design:
- Requires no redirection for users to have a device-optimized view, which reduces load time. Also, user agent-based redirection is error-prone and can degrade your site’s user experience.
- Saves resources when Googlebot crawls your site. For responsive Web design pages, a single Googlebot user agent only needs to crawl your page once, rather than crawling multiple times with different Googlebot user agents to retrieve all versions of the content. This improvement in crawling efficiency can indirectly help Google index more of your site’s content and keep it appropriately fresh.
- Reduces the possibility of common mistakes that affect mobile sites.
- Requires less engineering time to maintain multiple pages for the same content.
- Helps Google’s algorithms accurately assign indexing properties to the page rather than needing to signal the existence of corresponding desktop/mobile pages.
If you’re building a website, here are some things you should know that can help make it mobile-friendly:
Design with your customer’s point of view. Layout your website in a way that you want to see it as a customer, and not as a developer or an owner. As an owner of the website, sometimes all you think about is the relativity of the content, but it’s also important to know how the content is being delivered. Make sure to design your website in such a way that all the important and relevant content are being displayed properly.
Still from the customer’s point of view, you can measure your website’s mobile performance if you, as a customer, have completed your target task in one particular page without any fuss. Being able to do so means that your website is effective.
Do you need help in getting your website mobile friendly? You can hire our expert web developers HERE.